The National Poetry Series seeks book-length manuscripts of poetry written by American residents or American citizens living abroad.
Manuscripts are submitted online only via Submittable with an entrance fee of $35.00 (per manuscript). The entry period for the 2019 Open Competition begins on January 1, 2019 and runs through (and including) February 28, 2019.
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED, MANUSCRIPTS MUST ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES:
- All manuscripts must be previously unpublished in their complete form, although some or all of the individual poems may have appeared in periodicals.
- Translations, chapbooks, small groups of poems, and self-published books are not eligible.
- Manuscript length is not limited. However, a length of 48-64 pages is suggested.
- Manuscripts must be paginated and contain a Table of Contents.
- Because all submissions are anonymously submitted, and must be preserved as such until the end of the contest, please observe the following: The cover page of the manuscript should list the title of the manuscript only. No personal information of any kind, including name, address, phone number or email address should appear anywhere within the manuscript. All contact information will be entered separately in the entrant’s Submittable account. Any manuscript containing personal information will not be considered for review, and refunds of the application fee will not be returned.
- Please also do not include:Acknowledgments, explanatory statements, resumes, autobiographical statements, photographs, illustrations, or artwork.
- A list of previous publications or appearances in periodicals should not be included.
- When saving manuscripts, entrants should not “name” the manuscript with their last name in their personal computer storage, as that will appear when the reader opens the manuscript. For example: John Smith should not save his manuscript as “Smith_Poetry _Manuscript.doc.”
- No additions, deletions, or substitutions are allowed once a manuscript has been submitted. Entrants should inform NPS immediately if their manuscript is selected for publication elsewhere.
Finalists will be notified by approximately May 31 of the calendar year. The finalists’ manuscripts will then be submitted to five separate judges for consideration.
The five winning authors are notified by approximately August 31 of the calendar year. All finalists will be notified of their status at that time.
For frequently asked questions visit: